Teething granules for baby
Homeopathic remedies are non-toxic and gentle making them safe to use for babies and children. Chamomilla can be used as a first aid treatment to alleviate both the physiological symptoms (extreme pain) and emotional issues (clinginess and irritability) of teething. You can also read a review of teething powders available in the UK.
- Popular homeopathic teething remedy
- Which teething symptoms can chamomilla treat
- How do I give chamomilla teething remedy
- Where can I buy chamomilla teething remedy?
- What brands of chamomilla are available in the UK?
- How should chamomilla be stored?
- What is a homeopathic remedy?
Chamomilla is derived from the chamomile plant and the homeopathic remedy is prepared from the plant extract by a specialised serial dilution process, most commonly to the 30c potency (strength). It is used for the symptomatic relief of baby teething and irritability and is safe for all ages, even from birth.
- baby has one flushed or red cheek
- baby is irritable, fretful and impossible to sooth
- baby is very clingy and wants to be held or picked up
- baby’s head is hot and sweaty (if your baby has diarrhea and a high temperature consult your doctor as it maybe connected to another illness)
- baby is worse at night
Chamomilla for babies and small children normally comes as granules, crystals or powder sachets.
- Granules or crystals (approximately 10-20) should be tipped into the cap of vial and placed dry onto the child’s tongue. This constitutes one does and should be given to your child 15-30 minutes before or after food, up to six times a day if necessary.
- Powders should be carefully unwrapped and given dry on to the tongue in the same way, up to six doses daily.
Chamomilla can be purchased over the counter in most chemists, homeopathic pharmacies and health shops, as well as some supermarket chains. A qualified homeopath can provide more individualised remedies in stronger potencies if required. If your child is already undergoing homeopathic treatment, it is best to check with their homeopath before prescribing at home.
You can buy ready made sachets of chamomilla granules over the counter at your local pharmacist and in some supermarkets. Boots and Lloyds offer various brands and often provide chamomilla crystals in a glass vial pre-prepared by local homeopath. Teething brands include:
- Nelsons Teetha
- Ashton & Parsons Infants’ Powders
- Neal’s Yard Chamomilla 30C Helios Homoeopathic Remedy
- Weleda Chamomilla 3X Granules 15g
- Local Homeopath Brands (Pharmacists often stock glass vials of chamomilla 30c potency prepared by local homeopaths – ask at the counter)
Homeopathic remedies such as chamomilla are delicate and should be stored in their original containers in a dry cupboard, away from direct sunlight and out of reach of children.
Homeopathy (from the Greek words meaning ‘similar suffering’) is a system of medicine which is based on treating the individual with highly diluted substances which trigger the body’s natural system of healing. Based on their symptoms, a homeopath will match the most appropriate medicine to each patient. This medical system was developed by a German doctor, Samuel Hahnemann, in 1796 and has been used world-wide ever since.
About the Matricaria Chamomilla plant
Matricaria recutita or German chamomile, also spelled camomile, is an annual plant of the composite family Asteraceae. The plant grows in most parts of Europe, in corn fields, waste grounds, and roadsides. Flowering time us from May to August. The whole plant, harvested when in flower, is used to make a homeopathic remedy. It is especially suited to teething children and those who have been in a highly emotional state over a long period of time.