If you need some inspiration to help you cook tasty and healthy food for your kids, try these meal ideas.
- Porridge or unsweetened cereal mixed with whole cows’ milk or your baby’s usual milk with mashed ripe pear.
- Wholewheat biscuit cereal with milk and stewed fruit.
- Toast fingers with mashed banana.
- Toast fingers with boiled egg and slices of ripe peach.
- Stewed apple, yoghurt and unsweetened breakfast cereal.
Lunch or tea
- Cauliflower cheese with cooked pasta pieces.
- Plain fromage frais with stewed apple.
- Small pieces of soft ripe peeled pear or peach.
- Mashed pasta with broccoli and cheese.
- Baked beans (reduced salt and sugar) with toast.
- Stewed fruit and custard.
- Scrambled egg with toast, chapatti or pitta bread.
- Cottage cheese dip with pitta bread and cucumber and carrot sticks.
- Mashed sweet potato with mashed chickpeas and cauliflower.
- Shepherd’s pie with green vegetables.
- Rice and mashed peas with courgette sticks.
- Mashed cooked lentils with rice.
- Minced chicken and vegetable casserole with mashed potato.
- Mashed canned salmon with couscous and peas.
- Fish poached in milk with potato, broccoli and carrot.
Fruits and vegetables
Try these ways of increasing your child’s intake of fruits and vegetables:
- Put their favourite vegetables or canned pineapple on top of pizza.
- Give carrot sticks, slices of pepper and peeled apple for snacks.
- Mix chopped or mashed vegetables with rice, mashed potatoes, meat sauces or dhal.
- Mix fruit (fresh, canned or stewed) with yoghurt or fromage frais for a tasty dessert.
- Chop prunes or dried apricots into cereal or yoghurt, or add them to a stew.
Published Date 2010-12-15
Last Review Date 2009-07-28