Delicious Green Soup
Green summer soup packed with super healthy vegetables. Ideal for the whole family.
This may seem like a strange idea to you, but I tend to call my soups by their colour rather than by what vegetables are included in them. This appeals more to my children and they have begun to eat more soup as a result, a win win situation in my book!
If you are not keen on courgettes, you could replace them with a head of broccoli or perhaps a bag of spinach or watercress. If you also wanted to make more of a meal of the soup, then add some fried bacon bits or a handful of grated cheese for protein. I have made use of peas here as they are in season now and the soup has a lovely summery flavour to it.
You will need:
- 1 saucepan & 1 blender
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- This soup freezes well.
Makes a pint of soup
5 spring onions
1 tbsp. butter
250g peas (fresh or frozen)
1 tbsp. vegetable stock powder or 1 stock cube
500ml hot water
Fresh basil (optional)
- Chop the spring onions and sweat in the butter for a couple of minutes.
- Roughly chop the courgettes and add them to the pan. Fry for another couple of minutes.
- Boil the kettle and measure 500ml of water into a jug then add the vegetable stock. Add to the pan along with the peas and simmer for no longer than 15 minutes.
- When the soup has cooled down a little, I like to add in a handful of torn basil leaves for extra summery flavour.
- Blend your soup and season, but the stock does provide some seasoning of its own.
- You may want to add richness with milk or cream after it has been blitzed, but the soup is more than tasty enough on its own. I like to serve it with granary rolls for dipping!