Lentil and sweet potato dip
A tasty lentil and sweet potato weaning purée for baby and addictive dip for the whole family.
Lentils are a great source of protein for vegetarian babies and can be introduced from 6 months. This purée is one for all the family as it also makes a delicious dip for pitta bread and vegetable sticks.
Lentil and Sweet Potato Weaning Dip
- 6 months +
- 4 portions
- 35 minutes to prepare and cook
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Half a small onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 50g red lentils, rinse under cold water before using
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 300ml water or no added salt stock (add more water/stock to make a thick soup)
- Add oil to saucepan and cook onions on low heat until soft and transparent.
- Add leeks and cook for 4 minutes, stirring regularly. Do not allow leeks to brown.
- Add carrots, cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and water/stock. Bring to boil then simmer on a low heat for about 15-20 minutes until sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from heat and process to desired consistency.
This dish freezes very well