We asked celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor… With the weather getting colder by the day, our mums love nothing more than a bowl of warming
soup. Can you suggest a recipe for a healthy, hearty soup for the whole family?
Click here for more recipes by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
You will need
- 1 deep non-stick pan
- 1 cookie cutter
- a pressure cooker
- 4 medium ripe red tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons split skinless green gram (lentils or chickpeas), soaked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 inch ginger piece, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- White pepper powder to taste
- 4 brown bread slices
- 4 sprigs of fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté till lightly browned.
- Add the split green gram and sauté for a minute.
- Add two cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the salt, sugar and pepper powder and stir.
- Add the tomatoes and mix. Cover the cooker with the lid and cook under pressure till pressure is released four times (four whistles).
- Cut the brown bread slices into heart shaped pieces with a cookie cutter. Heat a non-stick pan and toast them till golden and crisp.
- Strain the cooked mixture and blend the solids to a smooth puree.
- Pass the puree through a sieve into a deep non-stick pan. Add the strained stock and mix. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Adjust the seasoning. Pour the soup into individual soup bowls, garnish with the toasted bread hearts and fresh coriander sprigs and serve hot.