Risottos are a great introduction to more textured foods as the Arborio rice provides a soft, creamy texture.
Butternut squash and red kuri make a wonderful risotto with their slightly nutty flavour and
soft texture once cooked. Doubling the quantities below will make a delicious meal for the whole
- 7 months +
- 6 portions
- Approx. 40mins cooking time
- Suitable for freezing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Half a medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Half a large squash (butternut, red kuri, pumpkin) peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 115g Arborio rice, rinsed
- 500ml boiled water or no added salt vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on low heat.
- Add the garlic and onion, cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until soft.
- Add the squash and dried sage. Cook for another 7 minutes then add the Arborio rice and
cook on low heat for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add the stock/water, about 80ml at a time. Cook on a low heat and simmer gently,
stirring at regular intervals. When the stock has been fully absorbed, add the next amount of
stock and repeat until the risotto has a creamy texture and the squash is soft. This will take
around 25 minutes.
- Mash to desired consistency if required and serve.