After Eight cupcakes fit for a Queen
A delicious Jubilee themed recipe from Holly Bell.
The chocolatey-ist cakes topped with a refreshing white chocolate peppermint ganache and adorned with a mint thin; so very British!
- 12 mint thins/After Eights
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 120g margarine/butter
- 100g plain flour
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 20g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25g Greek yoghurt
- 50mls double cream
- 1/2 tsp peppermint essence
- 100g white chocolate, broken into squares
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4/160C. Pop some cupcake cases into a cupcake tray. Check the rack is in the centre of the oven.
- Cream together the sugar and butter/margarine until light and fluffy. I use an electric hand mixer for this.
- Scrape down the bowl and add in the flour, eggs, bicarb of soda, cream of tartar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and Greek yoghurt. Whizz up for about 4 minutes with the handheld mixer until all combined, light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 20 – 24 minutes until the cakes are well risen and a toothpick comes out of the centre of the middle cakes clean. Remove from the tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Start to make the chocolate ganache as soon as the cakes are in the oven. Put the cream into a small saucepan and heat until it starts to bubble, remove from the heat, then add the white chocolate and stir, stir, stir until the mixture is completely molten and without any chocolate lumps showing. The mixture may look a little yellow from the white chocolate. If this offends you, you could add some gel food colouring at this point. A little green might be nice.
- Leave to cool until the mixture has re-thickened almost completely – this takes about 45 minutes.
- Then spoon a little onto each cupcake and decorate with mint thins. The ganache will need to set before you serve these cupcakes or it’ll be one messy eating experience.
Source: Holly Bell