Holly Bells carrot fritters are the perfect snack for hungry little mouths.
British Bake Off contestant and mum of two, Holly Bell has created the perfect snack for toddlers to munch on. For the full article and to see more of Holly’s recipes, go to Recipes from a normal mum.
- 3 carrots: topped, tailed and grated (peeling not necessary)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Oil for frying (anything except olive)
- Put everything except the oil and carrots into a food processor and whizz for around 2 mins until smooth and combined.
- Pour the mixture onto the grated carrots and mix with a metal spoon. It will look like there isn’t enough wet mixture to combine the carrot but fear not, you just want to coat each carrot strand a little, not produce a gloopy mess.
- Put a good slosh of oil in a frying pan, heat for a minute or so on a medium heat on the hob and then drop spoonfuls of the carrot mixture into the oil. I managed about four in my frying pan as you don’t want them touching.
- Leave to fry on one side for about two mins and then turn over with a spatula. Don’t mess about with them before 90 seconds is up or the skin you’re trying to form on the fritters will break and stick to the pan.
- Once cooked on both sides drain on kitchen roll, then serve.They’re pretty hot so be careful with little mouths.