Chocolate cheesecake slice recipe
Celebrate National Chocolate Week with this simple recipe that combines the best of both worlds – chocolate brownies and cheesecake!
By Anne Willicombe
This wonderful recipe has been in my cookbook for I hate to think how many years, in fact it’s one of only a selected few that has been rewritten and rewritten as my recipe notebooks expanded and evolved. It’s one of my favourites because it never fails to get a great reaction and it needs very little effort to make. Perfect for afternoon tea, or serve with ice cream or custard for dessert.
Chocolate cheesecake slice
Yield: 16 squares
- 185g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 250g cream cheese (full fat or low fat)
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
To make the base:
1. Melt the butter and cocoa powder in a medium-sized saucepan over a medium-low heat.
2. Add 3/4 cup caster sugar and 2 eggs, and whisk to combine.
3. Stir in the flour and beat until smooth.
4. Pour into a greased 20cm square baking tin and set aside.
To make the topping:
1. Beat the cream cheese, 1/3 cup caster sugar and vanilla essence together until combined.
2. Add the egg and continue beating until smooth.
3. Gently pour over the chocolate base. Using a knife, swirl through the mixture bringing up some of the chocolate mixture (if you want to have separate layers of chocolate and cheesecake swirl less, if you want the layers to be mixed swirl more).
4. Bake at 170C for 30 – 40 minutes until the sides are starting to come away from the tin and a skewer comes out clean.
5. Cool in the tin and cut into squares.