Gingerbread cupcakes recipe
Brought to you by The Gingerbread Mum, these cupcakes perfectly combine ginger spice and cinnamon icing. Perfect for Autumn!
These slightly spicy cupcakes are perfect for the approaching colder weather.
Prep time: 20-25 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Makes 12 cupcakes
Uniced cupcakes can be frozen for up to a month
125g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
125g butter, softened
125g dark muscovado sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
Method for cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan).
- Sift the flour, baking powder and ground ginger together.
- Sprinkle the muscovado sugar over the butter, breaking any lumps up as much as you can. Beat the butter and sugar with a handheld mixer, or in a food processor, until creamy.
- At a slower speed, add the eggs (one at a time) and golden syrup.
- Carefully fold in the flour mixture, being careful not to overmix it.
- Divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cases and bake for 12-15 mins until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Cool on a wire rack.
Cream cheese icing ingredients
90g butter, softened
150g cream cheese, softened
400g icing sugar, sifted
A sprinkling of cinnamon to serve
- Beat the butter until creamy and pale in colour.
- Add the cream cheese and lightly beat together.
- Mix in the icing sugar, lightly beating until creamy.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, spread or pipe the icing on top. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
Tip: the cream cheese icing is quite soft; if you want a firmer icing that holds its shape better for piping higher, add more icing sugar to the mixture.