Mickey Mouse party cupcakes and toppers
Feature writer, Kaye, tells us how to make cupcakes with Mickey Mouse cupcake toppers – perfect for a themed birthday party.
For my son’s birthday party this year I wanted to make something eye catching that his friends would love, and something that he could tell his friends that he helped to create.
I thought cupcakes and toppers would be ideal. This recipe makes around twenty regular cupcakes.
If you would like to bake these cupcakes you will need:
- 175g butter/margarine
- 175g sugar (granulated works fine)
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the topping:
- 1 x 284ml carton Emlea double or double cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
Step by step:
- Preheat your oven to 170C and line a bun tray with paper cases.
- Cream your butter and sugar together in an electric mixer, slowly add all the other ingredients and whizz together for about two to three minutes. Your mixture should look silky smooth and chocolatey.
- Spoon your mixture into cases until your cases are about three quarters full. During baking they will rise to fill the case completely.
- Bake for fifteen minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. Set aside to cool on racks.
- Whilst they’re cooling off, whisk your Elmlea/cream together with the icing sugar and the cocoa powder until the cream can hold its shape when you remove the whisk. This should take around five minutes on a medium speed in a stand mixer.
- Grab your piping bag and attach a wide star tip. Using a spatula, carefully spoon your cream topping into the piping bag – it’s much easier if you fold down the top of the bag.
- Once your cupcakes are completely cool you are ready to ice. If your cupcakes aren’t cool the cream will melt. Starting at the centre of your cupcake, gently squeeze your piping bag and draw a tight, flat spiral on your cupcake with the cream. Try not to make it spiral up as it may be too weak to hold your cupcake topper.
Making the toppers
Once your cupcakes are all baked and decorated, it’s time to start on the toppers! You can decorate your toppers however you like, with whatever shapes and colours you choose. The basis of this is just layering card so they are very easy to do.
You will need:
- Coloured card of your choice
- A gluestick
- Cocktail sticks
- Sticky tape
- Glitter gel pen (optional)
- Trace large circles (about 7cm) onto card and cut out. This will be the base of the topper and the piece that we tape the cocktail stick to later. You’ll need one large circle for each cupcake. If you don’t want circles you can use whatever shape you want, for example hearts, flowers or triangles.
- We only made two layers for our toppers, but you can put as many on as you want, or you can make them 3D by using sticky foam pads. Remember you need one of each layer for every cupcake and each layer has to be a little smaller than the previous one.
- Using your gluestick, start sticking the layers together starting with the biggest and ending with the smallest. On the top layer, if you choose, you could write something using a glitter pen. This step is entirely optional of course!
- Turn your cupcake topper over and with a little tape, secure the tip of your cocktail stick onto the back of the biggest layer.
- All that’s left to do now is gentle stick your cupcake topper into the centre of your cupcake.