Mini Kofte Recipe
Kofte (Turkish lamb meatballs) are a great way to introduce your little one to some spice. Start with just a pinch of cumin if you’re not sure, or you can also leave it out completely.
My toddler loves dipping them in some yogurt or houmous. You can also serve them in pita bread or wrapped in a flatbread with salad.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Makes about 16
400g lamb mince
1/4 onion, diced as finely as possible or coarsely grated
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
A little oil for greasing the grill pan
Yogurt to serve
- Heat a grill pan over high heat.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together until combined. Shape into short sausages about 5cm in length.
- Turn the grill pan down to medium heat and brush the bars lightly with oil.
- Cook the kofte for about 10 minutes until just cooked through (they’ll be quite chewy if you cook them too long), turning every few minutes onto each of their four ‘sides’ so they cook evenly.
- use 1 shallot instead of the onion for a lighter sweeter flavour
- use dried herbs rather than fresh
- add some herbs to the yogurt dip
- hide some vegetables in the mixture