Quick tuna and easy pasta for kids
Feature writer Anne shares her quick and healthy tuna pasta recipe for kids. Perfect for an easy-to-make lunch!
My munchkin still has a nap in the mornings (thankfully) which gives me some time to get a few things done. When I’m organised, I’ll start preparing his lunch before he wakes up. Other days (which are far more frequent than my organised days) I hear him wake up and realise with a start I’m going to have to rustle up something very quick for lunch.
This is one of my favourite pasta sauces, made from ingredients I pretty much always have – a tin of tuna, some yogurt and some herbs. And if I don’t have any fresh herbs than a pinch of dried herbs works just as well.
My sixteen-month-old loves pasta and he constantly amazes me with the amount of pasta he can wolf down in one sitting (well he is half-Italian). This recipe makes enough sauce for 30-35g of pasta. If this is too much for your little one, just reduce the quantities of tuna and yogurt a bit.
Quick tuna pasta sauce with yogurt and chives
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Makes 1 toddler serving
- 1/4 185g can tuna, drained and flaked
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- A pinch of salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 or 2 stems of chives, chopped
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a small frying pan over med-low heat.
- Add the tuna and heat through for a minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Take off the heat and stir in the yogurt. Add salt and pepper, if using.
- Add your cooked pasta and mix in the pan.
- Sprinkle over chives and serve.
- Use fresh salmon instead of the tuna
- Replace the yogurt with crème fraiche or cream
- Use dill or parsley instead of the chives
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice before you add your cooked pasta
- Use the sauce as a crepe filling