Pumpkin carving template
Use our simple pumpkin carving template to make a lantern guaranteed to make your little one smile!
Download and print our free [download id=”24″ format=”1″].
See our Facebook page for a photo of our spooky lantern using this smiley template.
Pumpkin carving instructions
1. Use a pen or draw out the outline of your lid. Make sure it is large enough to fit your hand and spoon inside. Cut out a lid in the top of the pumpkin.
2. Add a small notch in the back of the lid. The notch will remind you how the lid is positioned, allow smoke and heat to escape.
3. Scoop out the pulp and seeds.
4. Scrape the inside of the pumpkin in the area where you’ll be using the pattern, until that area is about 1 inch thick.
5. Trim and make small incisions in your pattern so that it lies flat on the face of the pumpkin. Tape the edges of the pattern to the pumpkin.
6. Transfer the pattern by poking small holes along the pattern lines with a drill tool or needle.
7. Remove the pattern.
8. Saw carefully along the dotted lines. Gently push the pieces through with your fingers.
9. Anchor a candle in the bottom of the pumpkin and light the candle. Ta daa! You’re spooky smiley lantern is ready for display.
For more information on this author see her G+ profile here +Ali McHugh