Glass Week – Glass is pure, inert and BPA free
Find out more about the benefits of glass this week during Choose Glass Week. The 21st to 27th of September, is dedicated to glass and aims to raise awareness of the benefits of glass across Europe. Mindful Mum is an advocate of glass baby bottles and has highlighted the benefits of glass bottles for both your baby and the environment in this blog. Mindful Mum believes glass is the safest option for your family. Here are some key facts you may not know about glass.
- In 1960 glass is given a GRAS (Generally Recognised as Safe) rating from the Food and Drug Administration in the USA. To this day, glass is the only packaging material to have this designation.
- Glass is made of three natural minerals – sand, soda ash and limestone.
- Glass containers are 40% lighter than they were 20 years ago.
- Glass is inert and odourless. Your food never tastes like glass.
- Glass is pure – there is no migration between glass and its contents.
- Glass does not contain bisphenol-a (BPA) a chemical that mimics oestrogen.
- Glass is 100% recyclable. It can be recycled again and again which means less energy and natural resources are used.
The Friends of Glass website promotes glass packaging and glass recycling and has an array of information to help keep you informed on glass and the benefits it has for your health and environment. You can also keep track of those who truly love glass via blog in a bottle.