Top Tips for Designing a Safe and Stylish Nursery
So you have a little one on the way? Or perhaps you already have a little one and it’s time to revitalise their room? Either way making sure that your home nursery is not just aesthetically pleasing but also safe, secure and accident proof can be a hefty task. Safety is the number one thing that you need to consider when you are putting together your home nursery, whereas the look of the room should be your second consideration.
So with this in mind we have put together a guide to kitting out your child’s nursery. We have considered safety, furniture and style!
Always consider safety
It is imperative that you have safety at the forefront of your mind during the production of your new nursery. There are so many small safety things to consider that you wouldn’t usually think of but that pose a threat to your child. We have put together a list of the safety requirements that you need to consider when creating your nursery!
- Plug sockets: Always cover the plug sockets in your nursery and throughout your home with plastic plug in covers. This way your child will be unable to put their fingers into the gaps!
- Floor Lamps and wires: Make sure that you avoid lots of wires or lamps. Not only can things get tangled and fall over but lamps can also get very hot as well.
- Fix furniture to the walls: Make sure that you fix your furniture to the walls. Having tall bookcases can cause a hazard if they fall over. Make sure that they are properly secured against the walls to protect your child.
- Child lock doors and windows: Invest in child lock doors and windows. This means that your child will not be able to slam doors or open windows too wide.
- Cover sharp corners: If the furniture that you choose has sharp edges then try covering them with some foam or padding. This will protect them from hitting their heads hard if they fall over.
- Wall mirrors: It’s always a good idea to avoid heavy hanging mirrors or picture frames. These could come loose and fall off of the wall. Try to stick to less heavy items!
What kind of style do you want?
Once you have considered the baby-proofing aspect of decorating your home nursery you can move on to the fun part. We all love getting creative in our interior decorations, so don’t be afraid to really go for it and make this room a beautiful starting point for your child! Pick sophisticated styles, elegant patterns and beautiful design. Make your child’s first bedroom decorations the perfect expression of love! And remember to make use of voucher codes online in order to cut the cost of your new nursery shopping! Here are a few things that you can consider when deciding on the style of your nursery!
- Pick a theme: Picking a theme is a great way to ensure consistency throughout your new nursery. There are so many themes to choose from. From Peppa Pig and toy story through to more broad themes such as animals or under the sea. There really are no limits to the theme that you decide to choose!
- Wallpaper fun: One of the best ways to bring your nursery to life is by picking the perfect wallpaper. The fun thing about nurseries is that you can choose more vibrant and visual designs. So make sure you play around and pick an engaging wallpaper design! Debenhams have a great selection of kids wallpaper that you can choose from. Plus you can make use of online voucher codes from Debenhams to make your new nursery makeover cheaper!
- Colour scheme: Always consider the colours that you want to use! Maybe you want something relatively neutral or maybe you want something bold and fun? Either way this is a great time to have a little bit of fun in your nursery design!
- Soft furnishing: Getting the perfect accessories to go in your nursery is another thing to consider. The curtains, blankets, bedding and cushions are the finishing touches to your new nursery. So make sure that you really think about how you want your new nursery to look!
There are so many things to consider when you are designing your new nursery! The two main points are safety and style. Under safety comes a consideration of plug sockets, wires, furniture fixtures, child locks, sharp corners and wall hangings. Under style comes themes, wallpaper, colour schemes and soft furnishings. So with all of this in mind it’s time for you to start compiling a plan to make your new nursery both safe and stylish.